Thursday, November 16, 2006
A former council leader faces being kicked out by his own comrades after refusing to pay part of his allowance into party funds.
Sunderland Council's Labour group will meet on Monday to discuss action against Bryn Sidaway, who refused to pay up after a vote in July to place a 3% levy on members' allowances to fund campaigning.
Coun Sidaway, who was leader of the council until he lost his Hendon seat to the Conservatives in 1999, would not give authorisation for the money to be taken out of his payments from the authority.
Since returning to the council in 2003, he has been known to be at odds with the current leadership of the group under Bob Symonds and friends say he expects to have the group whip withdrawn at the meeting.
A letter from group chief whip Anne Hall to Labour councillors said: "To ensure natural justice and to prevent the proceedings being prejudiced, this matter should not be discussed by any members of the group until the special meeting."
Last night Coun Hall would only say: "It's an internal Labour Party matter and it will be dealt with according to the procedures of the party." But a Labour spokesman said: "The Labour group, as with most other groups across the country, democratically voted to levy their members to pay a very small percentage of their allowances into a pot that's used to run the group and support political campaigning.
"It's perfectly legitimate that they pay for this out of their own pocket. If you want to play for a team you have to abide by the rules of that team. It's not fair on others not to contribute to that."
However, supporters of Coun Sidaway argue there is nothing in the party's rules concerning levies.
Sources close to the ex-leader said he objected to the levy - £215 for a backbench councillor - "on principle", as he already donated to the party, and believed he would have no control over how group funds are spent.
One source accused the group of running a "protection racket".
Thursday, November 16, 2006
- ► 2011 (51)
- ► 2010 (174)
- ► 2009 (115)
- ► 2008 (179)
- ► 2007 (210)
- Another fine mess
- Chauffeur’s fury over £150 BP parking fine ... Civ...
- Fined driver takes on council and wins ... another...
- The fine mess continues ... now Redcar and Clevela...
- Now there are spy cameras at rubbish tips
- Sunderland Labour Group Letter that launched the n...
- BBC Reports Sunderland Labour Sleaze Row
- Opportunity for the Leader of Sunderland City Coun...
- Labour in fresh party funding row
- Sleazy Labour's £2m raid on council tax funds ... ...
- Same feet on traffic beat
- Chippy smells of chips complaint
- Off the streets
- Another fine mess .... more rubbish
- BBC Inside Out programme goes national
- NCP may lose some city parking duties
- Assembly on the move - but of its own accord
- Driver Gets Tickets as He Tries to Save His Dying ...
- Cost of Regional Assemblies risen from £5 million ...
- Daniel Mumford ... Victory against Southampton Cou...
- Shadow Tyneside Minister confirms that regional as...
- Parking protest suffers setback ... or has NPAS wa...
- Have your say on political funding
- Councillor faces party rap for snubbing campaign l...
- Blackpool FOI response
- Westminster Council ... Local Government Ombudsman...
- Workplace parking charges scheme may set precedent...
- Coronation Street saga continues
- Robin de Crittenden Skeleton Argument submitted to...
- Doctor makes a stand against parking fines
- The Parking Alternatives ...
- Mexican Stand Off in Sunderland
- Sunderland Council's NCP Parking Attendants' silen...
- Dacorum Council put on notice...another parking fi...
- And another (Dacorum Borough Council) one's gone ....
- Dacorum decision ... another council bites the roa...
- Parking in Southampton ... what a shambles!
- Parking Attendant's Blog
- And another one's gone (Tendring District Council)...
- Another One (Ealing Council) Bites the Dust ...
- The Letters Page (Sunderland Echo)
- Sunderland Council Press Statement ... Imperial Me...
- Tories fail to clamp transport leader
- Who has parked their yard on my car?
- Joe keeps parking job
- Another fine mess for parking bosses
- North East Regional Assembly ... the real con
- Carmarthen Journal
- ▼ November (49)
- ► 2005 (445)